Sunday, December 03, 2006

Sunday Evening




8:30 pm on Sunday night. The children are in bed, the house is quiet save for the sloshing of the dishwasher. One might think it's Miller Time..."my" time...R&R time. But NOOOOOOOO. After the boys went to bed, I looked around and saw not one but two huge stacks of dishes, food from dinner still out, and I remembered the Kilimanjaro of clean laundry waiting for me in our bedroom and for a moment I wanted to make a run for it.

Instead, I did the right thing and started in on my chores. As I stood at the sink, scraping away at the baked-on-caked-on scrambled-egg-from-breakfast in the frying pan, I had a thought. I could have had a life where my dishes and my laundry were always done. I could have had a life where my Christmas tree has beautiful glass ornaments and lights strung just so. I could have had a life where I eat my dinner in peace and quiet. But, I chose to have a big family. A big family means a lot of noise. We have a lot of chaos in our house...but we also have a lot of love. And isn't that what everyone really wants anyway? People spend their entire lives in pursuit of what I have right here in my own house. The laundry can wait. I have boys to play with. And even when I'm standing at the sink, shirt covered in spit-up, scraping yucky food off the plates, I know I'm the luckiest woman in the world.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to run to Target to get a few things for tomorrow...

1 comment:

Heather said...

ahh I needed to read that this morning. John's first day back at work, and a morning with no tv has led to a loud very messy house. And my shoulders feel tight and stressed. A nice reminder that his is what I wanted, to relax and enjoy my kids and try not to fit all the household chores into the time that John is at work, I just can't do it right now.